The next CriticalEarth Training event will be held near Exeter, UK, at Dartington Hall (Monday morning 4th Dec to Thursday morning 7th Dec 2023).
Objective: Provide a thorough overview of the scaling results which have been found in the climate system and the possible mechanisms behind this behaviour.
Specific Themes: origins of scaling, power laws, multifractal scaling
Relevance: Guarantees that the ESRs have adequate knowledge of this new paradigm of climate variability and be able to connect the results to clear climate dynamical processes.
The programme will include the following:
- Arrival – (Sunday evening 3rd December 2023)
- ESR workshop 4 (EW4) “Scaling analysis in the climate system” (2 days) (Monday 4th-Tuesday 5th) comprising mini-courses:
- Peter Ditlevsen (Copenhagen) "Turbulence and Scaling"
- Henrik J Jensen (London) "Complexity and Self-Organized Criticality"
- Christian Lessig (Magdeburg) "Machine Learning and Atmospheric Modelling"
- David Trads –ESR Communications Workshop Part 2 (Wednesday 6th morning)
- Excursion and discussions (Wednesday 6th afternoon)
The training event and workshop are organised by members of the CriticalEarth ITN.
We have some spaces for external participants on Monday and Tuesday only. If you want to join then you will need to register via this link:
On the Thursday morning there will be a bus transfer to Exeter to join the workshop (W3) “Early warning signals for critical transitions” which runs from midday Thursday 7th to afternoon Friday 8th December 2023. The details of this are available via the following link: